Friday, July 27, 2012

The Celebrity Obsession - I don't get it

You can tell by getting in line at any grocery store or retail giant by the racks filled with magazines that people have a ridiculous obsession with celebrities. Actually ridiculous isn't even the right word, it is more like an unhealthy obsession with celebrities.

I would be lying if I sat here and said I've never watched a reality TV show or made a comment on a celebrity couple but that is where it ends for me. I don't sit here dreaming of what some random celebrity that I don't know is doing, who they are dating, if they will get married, have a baby, adopt a baby or anything else like that. I have enough to worry about and think about here in the real world with real people that I actually know.

It baffles my mind how there are entire shows and even channels dedicated to giving us updates on their lives. Why do we care and who are we to judge their lives and what they do based on the few things the media would like to tell us?

This weeks latest celebrity drama revolves around Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson and how she cheated on him - it has amazed me how many articles I've seen on it online, how many tv/gossip shows have been talking about it and how many magazine covers I'm sure they will be on next week. Not to mention the number of people that have posted some crazy You Tube videos of how disappointed they are that she cheated on him. So here are just a few of the random thoughts that have gone through my mind based on this weeks "news". People (unfortunately) cheat all of the time so why is this news, do we know what goes on behind the closed doors of these two, nope we don't as we shouldn't, things may not be all "gumdrops and lollipops" as my husband would say when they aren't in the public eye. And of course most importantly does Kristen cheating on Rob have any effect whatsover on me and my life or the lives of even anyone that I actually know here in the real world.....NOPE not one bit!

Wouldn't it be awesome if our newsstands were instead filled with local news of good doings, or magazines of ways you can get involved with the actual world you live in to help people. There is so much more to life than what the "hot celebrity couple" is doing at this very moment. So the next time you think about picking up the latest gossip magazine, flipping on a crazy show dedicated to updating you on what the world of celebrities is doing ask yourself this question - is there something that is actually meaningful that I could be doing right now?

If you can't think of something try one of these - they are sure to be more fulfilling and more meaningful to your life - and are things that are far more worthy of being obsessed over.
  1. Do something with your spouse
  2. Do something with your children
  3. Read the Bible
  4. Get together with your real friends and see if there is something you can do for them
  5. Get involved with your community and love on people
  6. Go outside and do something instead of hiding indoors

Until Next Time -
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment