Thursday, October 11, 2012

Preschool Fun: Making Play-Doh

I've never made Play-Doh before so I thought it would be a fun thing to volunteer to do at the Pre-School for both kids classrooms.

One weekend I got all of the ingredients out and started getting everything ready. I cooked it like it said...but it didn't look right...then I started trying to mix in the food coloring by hand and that went terribly wrong. Instead of a fun day of making play-doh I had a mess in the kitcehn and hives going up my arm....from the Cream of Tartar. So my wonderful husband cleaned it all up so I wouldn't have to touch it anymore and I went back to the drawing board.

So I hunted on the internet for a Cream of Tarter FREE recipe and came across this one which worked much better!

  • 1 Cup Plain Flour
  • 1/4 Cup Salt
  • 3 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice
  • 2 Tablespoons of Oil
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • Food Coloring


Method
  1. Mix the dry ingredients in a saucepan
  2. Whisk in the water over low heat
  3. Mix in the vinegar
  4. Pour in the oil
  5. Continue to mix over low heat until it forms a playdough texture
  6. Split up the dough, and knead in the food color (when it’s cool enough to touch)
    (http://www.naturalparentingtips.com/creative-play/no-cream-tartar-playdough-recipe/)


In about 45 minutes I was able to easily make 3 different batches and colors for the kids to take to school minus the hives! I'm actually going to be making some more this weekend!





Happy Play Doh Making :)

Until Next Time -
Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment