Wednesday, February 22, 2012

De-Cluttering from "Rich People Syndrome"

The current series at church "Rich People Syndrome" has really hit home with me. I was already thinking about just how much stuff we have and how we don't need  half of it if not three quarters of it. I mean really would my children's lives end if they didn't have the newest Little People toy? Or if I didn't have a new shirt, sweater, cake pan or anything else that I go out and buy would it really matter? I don't think that it would, especially considering I am still wearing my Campbell's sweatshirts that are well about 10 years old. So with all that being said the process of de-cluttering and attempting to move ourselves out of "Rich People Syndrome" has begun. To show just how bad it is and to remind myself to never go back I am documenting the process of before and after with pictures. My goal with this process is to rid ourselves of things we don't need and either sell them to help pay off our debt that holds us back, donate them to specific people that have a specific need and if we can't find a specific person then to donate them to a place or a goodwill store that supports something we believe in.

My first attempt started in two of the kitchen cabinets


Before: Cake Pans, Cake Pans and More Cake Pans - when I had kids my sister let me borrow hers well I don't use them so they are just taking up a lot of space unnecessarily

After: Took out all of the cake pans that aren't mine, did a little organizing and actually found room for some items that were "homeless" and on the countertop

Before: I was a Pampered Chef consultant so I have a lot of stuff that is very unorganized to go with that and half of it I don't even use!

After: I removed everything that we don't use and that I don't forsee us using anytime in the future. Found some things for Craigslist, found a couple of things to use as gifts and now we can actually find, get and use the things that we do use on a regular basis
All in all I think the first two cabinets went well - there is a whole lot more to be done though but we have started and starting is half the battle!

Until next time
-Samantha-

1 comment:

  1. looking good! I really need to tackle our spare room and sort through things again cause I am sure we have more that can go. On a good note I found a home for all the Easter stuff so that will eliminate 5-6 boxes right there :) Happy sorting!

    ReplyDelete