Sunday, February 12, 2012

New Series at Church

So today was the first sermon at church in the Rich People Syndrome series, I'm probably one of the few people that are actually excited about this series. As I posted a week or so ago God laid it on my heart that we need to declutter our home and stop with the incessant need to have more stuff, so this sermon series is just a reminder from God of what we need to do.

I'm excited to hear what Pastor Mike has to share over the course of this series. I'm taking Bible, Pen and Paper each week to make sure I don't miss anything important. He had some astonishing figures today on wealth I didn't write down the numbers and podcast isn't available yet so I might be slightly wrong...but it is something like if your annual household income is $67,000 or more you are in the top 25% of earners in the entire world. How crazy is that? Yet we all sit here complaining that we are broke, in debt, want new cars, new clothes, more money, a bigger house and on and on and on....yet we are rich. Those numbers hit me hard and I am making a change. I'm sure by the end of the series we will be given some suggestions of things we could do better and better ways we could use our money and stuff to help serve others and I can't wait to hear them. But until Pastor Mike reveals any of his suggestions I'm going to start this journey on my own one cabinet and one closet at a time. I'm going to find what we don't need and do my best to find an actual family or charity that can use the items vs taking the easy way out and dumping them at a goodwill store.

There will be lots of posts and pictures to come on this topic - this isn't a change for the moment, it's a change for life and another step on my walk with Christ.

Until next time
-Samantha-

No comments:

Post a Comment