Monday, February 27, 2012

Does the Phone Work?

So I've been wondering what happened to the days of communication. When we were young we had "phone time" every night and my sister and I thought it was one of the greatest things going. I remember talking on the phone with my friends about anything and everything even to the point that we would play Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune while on the phone with each other. Crazy I know but those were the days. The phone in our house would actually ring a few times a day, back then it wasn't a tele-marketer it was actually someone calling you because they wanted to talk to you be it your family or friends.

Today many people don't have house phones in their homes and have replaced them with cellphones, smartphones, blackberries and tablets, and the rare occassion that the house phone rings it isn't a family member or a friend it is a credit card company, a tele-marketer, a political ad or some other nonsense that you just don't want to deal with. Holidays and birthdays come and go and even then it is very rare that the phone rings.

The phone calls with the voices of our loved ones have been replaced with mass text messages that say "Merry Christmas", "Happy Thanksgiving", "Happy Birthday" and every other generic message you can think of. Occassionally you will come across the person that actually wants to have a "conversation" with you and will text back and forth with you for 20 minutes or so. I often wonder if my family or friends called would I even remember their voices anymore?

I thought that when hubby and I moved South to NC from NJ that we would hear from our family on a semi-regular basis on holidays and even days in between but I'm sad to say that hasn't been the case. Outside of my dad and step-mom and hubby calling his mom we don't really hear from many Northerners. I've called random people a few times but get tired of being the one that always picks up the phone to say hello so even those phone calls are now few and far between.

It is so sad that the art of conversation has become a dying art. Do people even know how to actually talk to each other anymore? Or have our converstaions become acronyms that fit into text messages?

Until next time
-Samantha

1 comment:

  1. I have to laugh at "phone time" :) I remember the hell that the other person paid if they called after my talk time and dad answered the phone LOL The text revolution has nearly eliminated phone calls and it stinks big time. The person I hear from most is dad... and you of course but that goes without sayin' Other than that if it's not me picking up the phone to call then I don't hear a thing. In all honesty it's one reason why I don't have much desire to visit Jersey. If people can't pick up the phone to call and say hello and vice versa then why waste the gas to sit in their living room. That may sound harsh but it gets old being the one who always makes the calls, so I feel ya on this one for sure. I usually try and call 1 or 2 different people a month along with some regular friends who keep in touch. All we can do is put our best foot forward and pray that things change.

    ReplyDelete