Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Prayer: How and how often

I started actually attending church back in 2009 almost 1 year after the birth of my daughter. I knew I needed something more for myself, for my family as a whole, and something more for my daughter as well.

Although I attended church on a regular basis I didn't really do much else outside of attending church. Occassionally I would read a small piece of scripture out of the Bible, or do a Bible Study at church as an attempt to learn more. But outside of meeting regularly with our small group, my attempts were never long term and not much came of them.

Within the past 2 months so much has changed - we changed churches and I really FEEL God now in a way that I never have before. I finally finished a Bible Study on the book of James that I started months ago, I now read my Bible on a regular basis and I now actually pray, and pretty regularly.

Here is what a day in my "Prayer Life" looks like:
  • On the way to preschool with my children I either pray or my daughter does, either way it is outloud and with my family
  • We pray as a family outloud before dinner together. we rotate who does it
  • During the day if someone asks me to pray for them I will often stop what I am doing and pray silently to myself, or if I am busy with work or something I will make a note of it to pray later
  • At night while my daughter lays beside me I actually write out my prayers. The things that are burning inside of me and most important to me at that point in time. I kind of write it like a letter.
  • After the kids are both asleep my husband and I pray outloud together and we also rotate who says the prayers at night as well
There are so many different ways to go about your prayer life so I'm curious what does yours looks like.

Until Next Time -
Samantha

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how God will move in our lives when we get in the place where he wants us. My prayer life can be rather random LOL With the amount of time I spend in my car for work, more times than not I use that time to pray. When I am on the internet and see someone post for prayer I usually say a prayer at that time so as not to forget about it. I used to keep a prayer journal where I could write down all the requests from my friends and then sit down with it each night an pray over it. The first time I did it, I actually got goose bumps up my arms because I was absorbed in prayer to the point where I felt God's presence. Now that I mention this I think I am going to locate that book and get back to praying that way. I would put the date and the persons name and pray for them daily. I would also use the book for praise reports of answered prayers and as a means to build relationships because after a couple days if I heard nothing from them I would check in with them to see how things were going and offer words of encouragement. Chris and I always used to pray before we sat down to dinner but that seems to have gone by the wayside. Sometimes we would pray at night before we fell asleep but we haven't done that in a very long time. I have gotten back to praying at night while lying in bed waiting for sleep to come. When things come up throughout the day, I will stop and pray but other than that I don't have anything set in stone LOL

    ReplyDelete